Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pride and the Priesthood

I've been thinking about pride and humility a lot lately. Mostly due to President Uchdorf's talk from the priesthood session of last year's general conference entitled "Pride and the Priesthood." I highly encourage anyone reading this to go and read that talk right now. http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/pride-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng&query=pride  I think that link should get you there.

Anyway, I'd like to sum up some of my thoughts about this subject in a few exceptional quotes.
"With one tiny exception, the whole universe is entirely comprised of others." Think about it for a second. How much time do we spend immerged in ourselves when there is a whole universe of other people and other things to think about?

"At its core, pride is a sin of comparison, for though it usually begins with 'Look how wonderful I am and what great things I have done,' it always seems to end with 'Therefore, I am better than you.'” In the words of Hank Smith, an EFY speaker, the world always seems too caught up in "comparison, competition, and never being enough." All of these things have to do with putting oneself above others.

 "We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves." I think that sometimes people, in an attempt to be humble, try to put themselves down. I have often heard someone, after being complimented say something like "pshhh, that's a lie." It always makes me sad to hear that. I think that the main problem with thinking less of oneself, is that it is still centered around them, and therefore, still prideful.

Oh, what a wonderful talk President Uchdorf gave. I need to go back and read it more often. Don't you just love the gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment