Thursday, April 21, 2011

Favorite Things (Part 2)

I have decided that a random list of some of the things I like does not do them justice AT ALL. There is no possible way that by saying one word I can truely (I know that truely is technically spelled T-R-U-L-Y, but I really don't like the way that looks. It looks harsh and insincere, so I'm changing it) convey to you how much I deeply love something. Therefore, I have decided to extrapolate.

I'll start out with something normal, just another thing that could be thrown into a list and attract little attention and provide virtually zero excitement.

Rocks. I love rocks. Absolutely love them. Yep, me and them rocks go waaaay back to the stone ages. I don't think that people truely appreciate how much rocks do for us, or how much rocks are a part of their lives. You encounter rocks on a daily basis, believe it or not. Maybe you're walking along and kick a rock down the sidewalk as you walk. With your rock. Or maybe you're riding your bike down the sidewalk. Well, if there weren't rocks, there wouldn't BE a sidewalk for you to ride down. Or maybe you're driving in your car, and you turn on the radio; voila, more rock.
      I also have some special experiences with rocks. I remember standing by a lake when I was just a lad, watching intently as my father selected a smooth, flat stone, took aim, and carefully spun it out into the water. You can imagine my elation as the stone, dense as it was, bounced off the water as if made of rubber. Of course I immediately wanted to try this myself, and I only succeeded at sending several stones spinning to the depths of the treacherous lake, along with my left shoe. It wasn't til' seasons later when I finally mastered the art of making rocks ricochet off water, but it has fascinated me ever since.
And you cannot forget the time when I, still just a tot, decided to go off and seek my fortune, and by that I mean gather rocks from my back yard, load them in my little red wagon, and attempt to sell them to the neighbors. I think I got about ten bucks. (They were cool rocks, okay?!?!? ) It rocked. Sorry. It's getting hard to think of concrete puns here. Of quartz, I am a professional, so my puns are gemerally pretty solid. Anyway, that's beside the point.
      The ultimate greatest thing about rocks, though, is that from them flows one wonderful gospel principal. The wise man built his house upon a rock. Rocks are the foot of foundations, the basis of buildings, the plot for palaces! Our very testimonies should be like rocks. Never wavering, always steady, stupendously solid. How many times are rocks mentioned in the scriptures? It's a lot.

So really, go back and read my favorite things post. Contemplate the complexities of each item as it appears. They are much, much more than just a word. Everything has more meaning if you look into it more, but really, one can only reap what they sow, so sow a lot.

And remember, diamonds are rocks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment