Friday, May 6, 2011

Thoughts of the Day

First of all, state band. I love the band so much that even I cannot find words sufficient to express it. Band has always been absolutely wonderful to me, and the feeling of making music is pure joy and happiness. The people in band are always so kind that it's basically rediculous. I am going to miss the seniors way too much, and band is going to be really weird without those wonderful, glorious examples to guide me. Thank you so much to everyone in band. Especially seniors.

Secondly, ballroom. The ballroom concert is pretty cool, and doing tech for it is fun, and I miss you guys a ton, but I'm still glad I quit. I admire you guys though, really; you're pretty legit.

Thirdly, more ranting about punctuation. I think there should be a punctuation mark invented for voice inflection clarification. For example, "Guess what?" is incorrect punctuation, "Guess what!" sounds threatening, and "Guess what." sounds boring. The simple request of "Guess what" needs something that, somewhat like the question mark, adds a slight happy lift to the end of the sentence. This new punctuation mark would also be extremely helpful in clarifying lengthy two-part questions, such as "Would you rather have a steak for dinner,(<---insert new punctuation mark here in lieu of the comma) or a bowl of ice cream? See, the way that is written out, the lift happens at the end instead of in the middle. When you actually speak it it sounds like "Would you rather have a steak for dinner? Or a bowl of ice cream." But that just simply doesn't seem to work when writing it out because it makes too big of a space between "dinner" and "Or." Punctuation was invented for clarification, so why not make it more clear? Those are just my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Turtle, I am loving the impact that a single book is having on your blog.

    ReplyDelete