Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Problems with Pronunciation

If someone pronounces their name one way, but the vast majority of people pronounce it another way, who is right? Does the way that the person originally intended the name to be said get overruled by the public and become incorrect? No, some of you think, of course the person in question should get to choose how their own name is pronounced. Well what if they're dead? The public face persists and the private one becomes non-existent? Well, here's one scenario:

Theodore Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, actually pronounced his name Soice. He often insisted that it rhymed with "voice" to clear things up.

"You're wrong as the Deuce
And you shouldn't rejoice;
If you're calling him Seuss
He pronounces it Soice."

So here's the big question: Are we wrong, or is he?

I know that I'm going to continue violating his preferred pronunciation and call him just plain "Dr. Seuss" because "Dr. Soice" sounds:
"a. A little bit stupid
b. A little bit drunk
c. Like someone from the west country"

But it will still be a cause of inner turmoil until I can sufficiently answer this question. Please help me out on this one.

1 comment:

  1. I approve of your approval of Lynn Truss. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete