Personally, I do not very much like the words "it is" or "they are" when they are used in a manner that does not allow for adjustment. Especially not when they are accompanied by an "Always." There are, of course, exceptions to this, but I generally do not appreciate it when one fails to see that something could be more than it seems, or that something they may have a fixed image about could in fact exist in more than one fashion. For example, when one says that "Unicorns are always majestic creatures with ultimate speed and power and magical properties," I feel bad for the pink, fluffy, wimpy little Unicorns which I'm sure are just as real as the awe-inspiring ones. I just wish people would stop and consider that maybe the plan they're proposing isn't perfect, or that the things they don't like aren't as flawed as they believe. Perhaps this is why I like riddles; riddles require perspective shift. A riddle is not usually designed to just be answered and tossed aside like a math problem, but rather requires examination of many different points of view and much more open-minded thinking. There is always, always, always, another level of depth that could be added to something, no matter how hard it is to find, and finding it is one thing that I simply cherish. It seems to me that some people think about a lot of things in the same manner that they would go through a tunnel. Just go straight through, refusing to bend to either side even a fraction of a degree for fear of colliding with the concrete walls they have put up, refusing to let anything in or out of their position. I myself would prefer to go over the mountain in lieu of plowing straight through it at fifty miles an hour. There is so, so much more to see when the path isn't already set in stone. In addition, one also gets the experience of making the path, allowing for adjustment when desired, and letting many more points of view stream in from the luscious light surrounding them, as opposed to simply that one light, that one, single, solitary idea at the end of the tunnel. Next time you hear the words "No it's not" coming out of your mouth, try to pause and consider that maybe it is. Life isn't always a toss of a coin, with one person being right and the other being wrong. It's possible for both parties to be correct. Even with the toss of a coin example, both people could be right. One votes that the coin will land on heads, while the other says it will show up tails. The coin is flipped, and tails ends up being the side facing away from the ground, so the second person is right, right? Actually, both are correct, because the first person predicted that the coin would land on heads, and because the coin was on top of the "heads" side, the coin was on heads, and it showed up as tails. See where a little perspective can get you?
To sum this all up in a quote, we shall refer to Star Wars.
"There's always a bigger fish."
John, I vote you try out to speak at graduation next year. :)
ReplyDeleteWill you marry me?