Saturday, May 7, 2011

Percussion

A long time ago, it was the summer before freshman year, and my older brother somehow convinced me to join Marching Band. Of course, I didn't play any instruments so I ended up on the cymbal line. I didn't know the most basic of rudiments, and the world of percussion was way over my head. I couldn't even tell you which drum was which. Slowly, steadily, I worked my way up. I learned that cymbals are much, much more than BANG BANG CRASH CLANG and that there is truely an art behind the loud, obnoxious noisiness that was drumming. And then, as summer ended my world expanded exponentially as my musical repertoire opened up to include the keyboard instruments, and hand drums, and timpani, chimes, drumset, temple blocks, toms, bells, and so much more! Instruments galore! So many different things to play, so many different ways to do it. So much to learn and to know, and again, I sucked at percussion. But I didn't let it dishearten me. I learned how to read music, and how to play all of those different things. When drumline tryouts came again, I was ready to move on, away from cymbals, so I practiced my drumline technique, then broke both my arms. So again, I was on cymbals (kind of. I didn't really do much playing them.) Throughout the year, I worked my way up into concert band, trying to catch up with the other percussionists who were so far ahead. And then, tryouts came back again, and this time I didn't fail. Bass for summer band, yes! But then, back to frontline for fall. Bass for pepband! Concert band. Symphonic band! Bass for Pearl Harbor! And finally, Bass for summer band! We'll just see what happens for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment