Back in the days when I was a closed-minded little child, lines bugged me immensely. Not like lines drawn on a piece of paper, but lines that you stand in to wait for something. Worst of all were the lines that didn't go anywhere, or moved extremely slowly, because it all felt so useless! I would often refuse to stand in lines because I didn't want to be in "The Waiting Place" from Dr. Seuss's "Oh the Places You'll Go." Now, I was right about the fact that wasting time standing in lines that don't go anywhere is not the thing for me, and there are definitely much more productive things that I could be doing. However, I finally decided to expand my horizons to the possibilities that maybe you could wait in line but still be productive, or even possibly make waiting in line for something an enjoyable thing to do! i.e you could potentially be holding a place in a line without waiting and wasting your time!
For example, I recently visited some friends who were waiting on the grass outside the movie theater so they could watch a midnight showing of the Hungry Games, and as an experiment I waited in this line with them, sitting on the grass and going nowhere, but merely holding a spot in a line, to see if waiting in a line could possibly be an exciting thing to do. And behold, it was. It was a very enjoyable social experience, and a good way to enjoy the wonderful weather. In other words, I was able to make something typically seen as horrendous (waiting in line for nothing) even more enjoyable than it would have been to chill at a friend's house. Just goes to show that you can always make something better out of any situation that you're in.
No comments:
Post a Comment