Thursday, March 1, 2012

76 Trombones and 1 Bass Drum Player

Today started out fairly normal. Alright, at the rate this is going, this is going to be a bad post.
Let me start again.

Arghh, and avast, ye mateys! I done spotted land close to yonder shore thus beetafil' spring mornin', as me ship sailed to the cereal filled land of Journalism. After that adventure, I started walking to seminary, when I was interrupted by me favorite band student teacher Mr. Tippets. So, he says to me, he says "Sonny, I have a job for ye to do.  And I says back to him, "Any task can I complete." So basically, he tells me that I need to play in a concert at BYU tonight and sight read the music for it. WHAT?!?!?!? So, obviously, that kinda scared me, but I continued on me way anyway. And then I did EHS during 8th period in the journalism lab, and was happily joined by Riley and Kat.

Later that day...

I went to Timpanogas to spielen some music for region solo and ensemble, and we were way ahead of schedule, so the judge had me play right when I got there even though I was fifteen minutes earlier than my original time, so I didn't have time to warm up or anything. And, SURPRISE! My music was terrible. As I played it my ears cried and my spirit fled from my body. At School solo/ensemble I did pretty good, so I assumed that I'd do good at region too. Now I'm not even sure that I played the same song. It was hideous. After my tragic solo moment I somehow regained my composure and managed to perform decently in my ensembles, but that was definitely the end of my marimba solo life. The results are obvious, I got a 1- on my solo so I didn't make it to state, and the two ensembles both got 1's so I can still go to state.

Even later that day...

I rushed home from me solo-sailin', an' I wen' upon the high seas where I found me a de jong concert hall. This went much better than solo/ensemble. I thoroughly enjoyed sight reading the Bass drum part to 76 Trombones for 76 Trombones, arranged by Dan Barrett, who's an awesome Jazz Trombonist, in the concert, and I actually did fairly decently. (It was really easy music, but that's not the point. The point is that I got to play music in the de jong with BYU with Steve Call, and Dan Barrett conducting, and super awesome music majors all around me and it was SO COOL!!!! Basically it was the bestest most amazing thing ever. I felt special.) There's a video of it that will supposedly end up on youtube and that I will hunt for until I find so that I can post it on here.

Words cannot describe. Well, they can, but I'm too lazy to put that much effort into doing that right now, mostly because it's very lates at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment