Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bryce and Zion





Oh yes, the unlimited excitement of the Bryce and Zion trip with the Germans. You wish you could have been there, but instead you'll just have to settle with looking at pictures and reading my descriptions.

Day One
We began our marvelous trip with a lengthy bus ride. All of the bus rides of this trip were absolutely marvelous, including chatting in English and German, reading, playing chess, playing other games, and eating. Homework was not allowed. 
After a while of riding in the departed bus, we arrived at the Fremont Indian reserve, where we got to look around for a while and learn about the Fremont Indians. I also remembered quite a few things from two years ago, which was kinda cool.


For the first few minutes we were simply milling around.




Then Stefan showed us how to use an atlatl.



 We weren't very good at it. Nobody actually hit the Styrofoam deer.







After that we checked out the museum. 







 Then we went hiking and looked at rock art.


After that we got back on the bus and rode over to Bryce Canyon.
This squirrel was fearless. It was like, sniffing camera lenses.



Then we went in the Bryce Canyon visitors center.




  Henry's vest is from the thrift store in the town where we ate lunch, where I got a suit coat for a dollar.


Bryce Canyon was really cool.











 It looks great upside down too.





















That night we arrived at Ruby's Inn and stuff. My room was awesome because it was me, Josh, Henry, and Michael. What could be more fun? Anyway, we all went swimming, ate our Cup of Noodles and played Magic until pretty late at night. 
After that we decided to open the can of Libby's Potted Meat Food Product that came from Days. Not the best idea. We each ate some of it in the freezing cold parking lot with our bare hands. It was definitely the most disgusting thing that I've ever had in my entire life. I gagged upon touching it and I was a hair away from puking. It was vile. I guess that wasn't very smart. It was a humiliating and glorious moment.



 We decided that Libby is Potiphar's wife.
 We flushed the stuff.


Day 2
We woke up in the morning and headed back to Bryce Canyon where we actually got to hike into the canyon this time. It's such an amazing place.










 Sorry this video is sideways. It's pretty cool. It's me jumping down the switchbacks.













 The queen of England.





 Dr. Seuss's domain.



After our awesome hiking, we headed to Zions. This is as picture of checkerboard mountain. It's insanely amazing.


 Lunch.

At Zions we just looked around a little bit at the visitors center and such. We also planned a little of what we were going to do on the morrow. After that we headed to St. George.

We got to see the St. George Temple!







The motel that we checked into that night was much more ghetto than Ruby's Inn. One of the sheets on the bed had a nasty yellow stain on it, and there was a burn hole in one of the blankets.

 There was also some really kitschy artwork.

We only had one table and it was lame, and it was just a trashy room in general.

Right when we were about to go to bed the toilet flooded for no reason. We assume that it was Libby getting revenge on us for flushing it in the previous hotel. It followed us to St. George and attacked.




It took all of our cunning and the night worker at the front desk to win the battle. 


Day 3

In the morning we ate Rainbo Mallows, checked out of the motel, and headed back to Zions. I love national parks. They're so completely beautiful and amazing.















We hiked the Hidden Canyon trail, and I could remember a lot of it because it was the exact same one that I hiked last time I went. It's such a great hike.





 The treacherous stairway



There was lots of intense climbing and scrambling involved in this hike. I absolutely love going up stuff like this! It really makes me super happy.




It's intense to stand on stuff like this. You feel especially cool because you had to climb it to get there.









We ate an Angel Food Loaf at the top. Good stuff.



 Best group ever!











Overall, it was an absolutely amazing hike. Probably at least twice as much fun as last time, and last time was pretty great as well.



After Zions we came home, and now we're home. That was a superb trip. I really wish that I could go visit national parks more often.


1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous. I need to take a visit to Zions sometime, really soon.

    ReplyDelete