Tuesday, December 18, 2012

On Snow

Snow can be a wonderful thing. It can be so wonderfully fun to build snowmen with friends, and feel the refreshing cold pierce through the warmth of your hands, and then have to retreat to a warmly abode with a cup o' cocoa. It's beautiful to watch the light and fluffy flakes lazily drift down from the sky while cuddled up in a big chair with some grand friends for great conversation, and lovely music inspiring a jovial mood in the background.
But, as much as I like snow, I cannot say the same for Ruthenium. Ruthenium, my car, does not like snow.
Now, a deep enmity as Rue has for snow cannot be founded in a single day or night, but only through a long series of negative experiences and persisting problems. The first problem that sets poor Rue on edge in the edge of a storm is the fact that she, unlike other cars, is incapable of performing the simple function of defrost. This makes it so that every time the weather snows, or rains, or randomly decides to be moist, the insides of the windows of Rue fog up horribly, which makes it rather difficult to see. Sometimes I have to resort to drying the interior with a towel before continuing a journey. The second problem is that Rue also has no heating, which makes driving anywhere in the cold, well, cold. Rue is also incapable of rolling down her windows, or honking her horn, or turning off the battery and check engine lights, or having AC, or turning off her headlights, or accurately displaying the amount of gasoline in the tank, but these are just general problems, not snow problems.
Ruthenium has also had some unpleasant experiences with the snow. For example, on friday, Rue obliged to drive Seth and I up to salt lake to Seth's aunt's house. On the way there, we were caught in a terrible blizzard. Due to the impossibility of seeing the road, I had to pull off the freeway and we sat in a parking lot until the weather cleared, which led to a very late night indeed.
Today, Rue thought she would be fine on the ice roads, but no, she was wrong. Rue was going along like a happy little car, when suddenly there was ice instead of road. Rue then proceeded to drift over and smash into a curb with a terrible thud. After that, the alignment of the wheels was thrown off, making driving yet another slight more difficult.
Also, a light snowing all day made it requisite that I scrape off the windows before going anywhere today, so I ended up having to do that at least five times. The last time I did, my hand slipped and I sliced my knuckles open on some of the ice that had become a part of Rue's exterior.
Basically, my car just wishes that it was summer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment