Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Promise Kept

As promised, I will now post about band tour, my birthday, and a little of my impending excitement about pearl harbor.

First, my li'l birthday.

Yup, I'm catching up with the rest of you seniors now. I'm seventeen!
'twas a good birthday. I remember vaguely how it all started. I was sleeping peacefully in my bed when I was suddenly no longer sleeping peacefully. The light was on (and it was very bright;)  I was wearing a crown; and Riley, Shelby, and Dani were attacking me. I was suddenly blindfolded and whisked away, unceremoniously thrown into the trunk of a car, and taken away to McDonald's. McDonald's is nasty, but that is okay, because it was a party anyway. I've never been a hostage before. It was quite grand. I also had several amazing friends give me other various gifts, which filled my soul with happiness, so this is me belated thank you to you all! I love you people!

And band tour. Oh wow. What can I say? That's my very last band tour ever! I already miss band, but I guess I don't truly have to weep until Pearl Harbor is over, and then I will have no-more-bass-drum withdrawals, but I'm going to try out for the BYU bass line, so I might be able to play again one day. I'm so very glad that I have had this incredible opportunity to be in marching band. The things that I learned and the friends that I made have been and will continue to be a great blessing in my life. There's something incredibly special about putting in so much time and effort to make something as beautiful as our fall show, and I cannot believe that I am lucky enough to have been a part of it. I love everybody in band and I'm very thankful for the many things that all of you have done for me.

Just for kicks I'll throw in my Journalism article:


  The Timpview marching band has just returned from competing in the Las Vegas Marching Band Invitational. After they won first place in the 3A division, they were invited to compete in the showcase round, which means that they competed against the twelve best bands that entered the invitational. The showcase round included many of the bands from the open class division, some of which were over twice the size of the Timpview marching band. After this final performance, Timpview once again took first place.
 Throughout the season, the marching band competed and played in eleven additional competitions and other performances hosted by various high schools and universities around Utah, winning first place in each one of them as well as winning many special caption awards. The marching band started out their fall band season right after summer band ended by learning, memorizing and practicing the music and choreography that they would perform. Multiple rehearsals and sectionals every week as well as individual practicing persisted throughout the season. Including all of the time spent by staff, participants, band parents and Dr. Fullmer, the total amount of hours put in by all individuals adds up to over 40,000.
            However, fall marching band is not the only thing that Timpview bandies are involved in. Many people who were involved in marching band as well as some other band members joined in the Pearl Harbor Project—a tribute to those who have fought for our country with a special emphasis on those who died or fought in Pearl Harbor. These band members are learning and rehearsing even more music in their early morning rehearsalsevery Wednesday and practicing their parade marching in Monday afternoon rehearsals. They are also learning a lot about the history of our nation, particularly World War II and the effects that the attack on Pearl Harbor had on our role in the war. Dr. Fullmer is having each member of the Pearl Harbor Project complete various history requirements, such as writing a research paper, studying for history tests, memorizing important historical documents, reading books and watching movies about Pearl Harbor and listening to veterans teach about their experiences.
            The Pearl Harbor Project has performed in many venues around Utah and given multiple tributes to veterans. On Memorial Day, they performed for the Provo City Freedom Festival Memorial Day Service. According to senior Bao Ha, one of the drum majors in the project, on Veterans Day they were part of the official Provo Veterans Day celebration and they even got to put on a private performance for some actual Pearl Harbor survivors. During Thanksgiving break, the Pearl Harbor Project will travel to Hawaii to honor the Pearl Harbor veterans at the site of the attack and to enhance the experience, they are taking two Pearl Harbor survivors and their wives to Hawaii with them. Senior Nicole Hopkinson, the other drum major involved in the Pearl Harbor Project said, “This project is great because this isn't just a vacation to Hawaii, it's a working trip where we give a tribute to the veterans and try to understand more completely what was done for us.”

I'm very excited and shall post a plethera of pictures of Hawaii when I return.


Oh, speaking of pictures, here's a couple from Fall Tour:











 I love Drumline



 See the Tiny band in the front? The white one?
Yeah. That's us. We beat all those other huge bands.






 Gotta love my solo.





No comments:

Post a Comment